If you are traveling primarily for touristic purposes, i.e. touring, you should apply for a Schengen Tourist Visa.
What is a Schengen tourist visa?
- A kind of short stay (Type C) visa allowing you access to the Schengen area for up to 90 days within a 180-day period for tourism purposes.
Schengen tourist visa requirements
- Applicants for Tourist Schengen Visa need only to submit the Schengen Visa Application Requirements.
Eligibility: Who Can Apply for the Tourist Visa
- Nationals of a third country excluded from visa-free access or visas on arrival to the Schengen area that has a legitimate, valid, and documented reason for traveling to the Schengen area for touristic purposes are eligible to apply for a Tourism Schengen Visa.
How to Apply for Tourist Schengen Visa
- To apply for a Tourist Schengen Visa, you need to determine the Schengen country where you will be spending the most time on your trip. You will apply for the Tourist Schengen Visa through that country’s consulate.
- Select “Tourism” as a reason for traveling.
- Determine how many “Entries” to the Schengen area you need.
- Gather your Basic Schengen Visa Required Documents, as well as the documents required for a Tourism Visa.
- Fill out your Schengen Visa Application. Different Schengen countries provide different ways of accessing applications; you might have to use an online application portal or fill out a print application by hand.
- Pay the application fee (the standard fee for adults is 80 Euros). You will likely have to submit a service payment with your visa application. This is a separate cost from the visa fee, which you will likely pay in person, at your subsequent interview appointment at a Visa Application Center. Please note that these fees are non-refundable.
- Submit your application.
- Schedule an interview appointment. Interviews are conducted in person either at the embassy or the consulate of the country you are applying to or at a Visa Application Center associated with the consulate of the country you are applying to.
When to Apply for Tourism Schengen Visa
- You should apply for a Tourism Schengen Visa at least 15 days prior to the day you intend to travel, and no earlier than 6 months before you leave.
Where to Apply for Tourist Schengen Visa
- You should apply for the Schengen Visa through the embassy or the consulate of the country you are travelling to in the Schengen area, or through a Visa Application Center associated with the consulate of the country.
- If you are traveling to multiple countries in the Schengen area, you should apply through the embassy, the consulate, or the associated Visa Application Center for the country in which you will spend the most time. And in case you plan to spend an equal period of time in those multiple countries, then you need to apply at the embassy, the consulate, or the associated Visa Application Center of the country where you will arrive first.
Tourist Visa Processing Time
- The processing time for a Tourism Schengen Visa is generally about two weeks (15 days). In rarer cases, consulates can take anywhere from 30-60 days to render a decision on an application.