If you are travelling primarily for educational purposes, i.e. to attend a school or participate in educational or scholastic events/programs, you should apply for a Schengen Student Visa.
What is a Schengen Student Visa?
- A kind of short stay (Type-C) visa allowing you access to the Schengen area for up to 90 days within a 180-day period for study purposes.
Required Documents for Schengen Student Visa
- In addition to the Basic of Schengen Visa Application Requirements, applicants for Schengen Study Visas should submit the following materials:
- Proof of acceptance/official, formal invitation to a specific Schengen academic institution (college, university, etc.) with detailed information about the specific nature of your program (such as your intended major/area of study, proof of course enrollment) length of program, accommodation, how you intend to pay for your education, etc.
Eligibility: Who Can Apply
- Nationals of a third country excluded from visa-free access or visas on arrival to the Schengen area that have an official acceptance letter or invitation from an academic institution located in a Schengen Member State may apply for a Study Schengen Visa.
How to Apply for Schengen Student Visa
- Determine the Schengen country where you will be spending the most time on your trip. You will apply for the Study Schengen Visa through that country’s consulate.
- Select “Study” as the reason for traveling.
- Determine how many “Entries” to the Schengen area you need.
- Gather your Basic Required Documents, as well as the documents required for a Study Schengen Visa.
- Fill out your application. Different Schengen countries provide different ways of accessing applications; you might have to use an online application portal or fill out a print-application by hand.
- Pay the application fee (standard fee for adults is 80 Euros). You will likely have to submit a service payment with your visa application. This is a separate cost from the visa fee, which you will likely pay in person, at your subsequent interview appointment at a Visa Application Center. Please note that these fees are non-refundable.
- Submit your application
- Schedule an interview appointment. Interviews are conducted in person either at the embassy or the consulate of the country you are applying to, or at a Visa Application Center associated with the consulate of the country you are applying to.
When to Apply
- You should apply for a Study Schengen Visa at least 15 days prior to the day you intend to travel, and no earlier than 6 months before you leave.
Where to Apply
- You should apply for the Study Schengen Visa through the embassy or the consulate of the country you are travelling to in the Schengen area, or through a Visa Application Center associated with the consulate of the country.
- If you are travelling to multiple countries in the Schengen area, you should apply through the embassy, the consulate or the associated Visa Application Center for the country in which you will spend the most time. And in case you plan to spend equal period of time in those multiple countries, then you need to apply at the embassy, the consulate or the associated Visa Application Center of the country where you will arrive first.
Processing Time For Schengen Student Visa
- The processing time for a Schengen Student Visa is generally about two weeks (15 days). In rarer cases, consulates can take anywhere from 30-60 days to render a decision on an application.