If none of the main 9 purposes accurately describe why you are travelling, you should select “Other” as purpose of the journey.
Eligibility: Who Can Apply
- Nationals of a third country excluded from visa free access or visas on arrival to the Schengen area whose purposes for travelling are not effectively represented by the main 9 visa purposes should select “Other” as their purpose of the journey.
- In addition to the Basic Required Documents, applicants for Other Schengen Visas should submit any relevant forms shedding insight on the purpose and nature of their trip.
How to Apply
- Determine the Schengen country where you will be spending the most time on your trip. You will apply for the Other Schengen Visa through that country’s consulate.
- Select “Other” as reason for travelling.
- Determine how many “Entries” to the Schengen area you need.
- Gather your Basic Required Documents, as well as the documents required for the Other Visa.
- Fill out your application. Different Schengen countries provide different ways of accessing applications; you might have to use an online application portal or fill out a print-application by hand.
- Pay the application fee (standard fee for adults is 80 Euros). You will likely have to submit a service payment with your visa application. This is a separate cost from the visa fee, which you will likely pay in person, at your subsequent interview appointment at a Visa Application Center. Please note that these fees are non-refundable.
- Submit your application
- Schedule an interview appointment. Interviews are conducted in person either at the embassy or the consulate of the country you are applying to, or at a Visa Application Center associated with the consulate of the country you are applying to.
When to Apply
- You should apply for the Other Schengen Visa at least 15 days prior to the day you intend to travel, and no earlier than 6 months before you leave.
Where to apply
- You should apply for the Other Schengen Visa through the embassy or the consulate of the country you are travelling to in the Schengen area, or through a Visa Application Center associated with the consulate of the country.
- If you are travelling to multiple countries in the Schengen area, you should apply through the embassy, the consulate or the associated Visa Application Center for the country in which you will spend the most time. And in case you plan to spend equal period of time in those multiple countries, then you need to apply at the embassy, the consulate or the associated Visa Application Center of the country where you will arrive first.
- The processing time for the Other Schengen Visa is generally about two weeks (15 days). In rarer cases, consulates can take anywhere from 30-60 days to render a decision on an application.