Required Document to Applying for a Schengen Visa types
- All Schengen visa applicants will submit the same basic required documents and materials below:
- Passport (valid, with blank pages for new visa).
- Two passport-sized photos (of the applicant).
- 80 EUR visa fee.
- Proof of travel medical insurance.
- Proof of return (evidence you are leaving the Schengen area via, such as plane reservation).
- Proof of accommodation (hotel reservation, address of private residence).
- Proof of subsidence (financial documents/materials showing you can pay all costs associated with your trip).
- Proof of travel medical insurance (policy must cover entire Schengen area and be of minimum coverage amount).
- The following may also be requested by consular authorities:
- Letter outlining reason for travel and how you will pay for all related expenses.
- Photocopy of personal information page of passport.
- Photocopy of Residence Permit (if relevant).
- Previous Schengen visa (if relevant).
- Additional documents are required if the traveler is a minor, including the following:
- Copies of parental passports.
- Copy of minor’s birth certificate.
- Letter of consent from parents/guardian.
In addition to the above, applicants will also submit supplemental materials depending on the Schengen visa types they are applying for. The different Schengen visa types (and the corresponding supplemental documents needed to when applying for a Schengen visa) are shown below.
Required Documents when Applying for an Airport Transit Visa
- Proof of purchase of plane ticket to your ultimate destination (must include the traveler’s name) and a copy of the original ticket.
- Visa to whichever country you are traveling to (if needed for entry).
- For information on how to submit the visa documents needed for applying for a Schengen visa for Airport Transit, click here.
Required Documents when Applying for a Schengen Visa to Visit Relatives or Friends
- Proof of your relationship to the resident/citizen of the Schengen state who you are visiting (marriage certificate, birth certificates, etc.).
- Invitation letter (from host in primary destination).
- Formal letter from your host pledging to cover all costs related to your visit, explaining why you are visiting, planned activities, etc.
- For information on how to submit the visa documents needed for applying for a Schengen visa for Visiting Family and Friends, click here.
Required Documents when Applying for a Schengen Tourist Visa
- Itemized list of the sights you intend to see (destinations/itineraries).
- For information on how to submit the visa documents needed for applying for a Schengen visa for Tourism, click here.
Required Documents when Applying for a Business Visa in Europe
- Copy of the valid trade license of the company in your resident country.
- Invitation letter from the company/authority in your destination country.
- Detailed info regarding the event/trade fair/congress you will be joining in your primary destination country.
- If fair observer: relevant information on trade fair you will be attending, in the form of tickets/confirmation letter/invoice indicating valid status as trade fair exhibitor.
- Materials expressing the state of trade relations between your country of residence and the country in which you will be conducting business.
- For information on how to submit the visa documents needed for applying for a Schengen visa for Business and other Schengen visa types, click here.
Required Documents when Applying for a Medical Visa
- For patient:
- Copy of recent health examination.
- Stamped/signed appointment letter from the hospital/clinic/doctor (must be descriptive of payment method/plan for treatment).
- For patient escorts:
- Letter introducing the escort, detailing relationship to the patient.
- Letter of appointment (for person you are escorting).
- Information/proof of coverage of travel related-expenses as an escort-where you are staying and how you will pay for your stay, etc.
- For information on how to submit the visa documents needed for applying for a Schengen visa for Medical purposes and other Schengen visa types, click here.
Required Documents when Applying for a Study Visa or When Applying for a Training Visa
- Proof of acceptance/official, formal invitation to a specific Schengen academic institution/training program (college, university, etc.) with detailed information about your program length of program, accommodation, payment source, etc.
- For information on how to submit the visa documents needed for applying for a Schengen visa for Study and Training purposes and other Schengen visa types, click here.
Required Documents when Travelling for the Purpose of Joining a Spouse Residing in EU
- Copy of your spouse’s passport and/or;
- Copy of your spouse’s national ID card.
- Copy of your marriage certificate (to your E.U. spouse) from both your spouse’s country and your own.
- Letter from the spouse stating purpose and duration of travel and respective address of stay in the Schengen state(s).
Required Documents when Travelling for the Purpose of Participating in Cultural, Sports or Religious events in Europe
- Detailed letter from your resident country’s relevant local cultural association describing your position in it and information on the event you will be participating in your destination country (who is hosting/organizing/paying for your travel, its timeframe, etc).
- Detailed letter from your resident country’s relevant local athletic association, describing your position within the organization (athlete, coach, trainer, etc.) and other relevant info.
- Depending on whether you are travelling for participate in a sporting event organized by your resident country’s local sport’s organization in partnership with a sport’s organization in your destination country:
- Letter from your resident country’s relevant local athletic association providing information on the athletic event you will be participating in your destination country, who is hosting/organizing and how you are paying for your travel, its timeframe, etc.).
- Letter from relevant local sports associations in your destination country declaring that they are in partnership with your local sporting association, including their complete address, event length and itinerary.
- Letter from the religious organization detailing the nature of the religious event/service being held.
- Invitation/tickets to the event.
- Copies of any materials you received indicating your participation or outlining the event.
- Proof of participation in previous religious events of a similar nature.
Required Documents when Travelling to Europe for the Purpose of Employment
- If you are traveling to the Schengen area in order to take a job there, you will need to apply for a different type of visa (non-Schengen).
Please note that the above basic and supplemental documents are not exhaustive and that consular officials may ask you to submit additional materials as part of your Schengen visa application.