Published on: 20 January 2021
If you are from Pakistan and thinking about visiting Europe, you will very likely need a visa in order to travel to the continent. If you want to visit France, Germany, Spain, or any of the top countries in Europe, you should probably apply for a Schengen visa from Pakistan. A Schengen visa gives you access to the entire Schengen area—all 26 European states. Keep reading for all the essential information about Schengen visa for Pakistani citizens and Pakistan residents, including where and how to apply, and the various Schengen visa types for Pakistani passport holders and Pakistan residents.
About Schengen visa for Pakistani citizens and Pakistan residents
- If you are a Pakistani citizen, you will need to apply for a Schengen visa in order to enter the Schengen area.
- If you are a Pakistani resident, depending on where you have citizenship, you may have to apply for a Schengen visa in order to enter the Schengen area. (For list of countries with visa-free access to the Schengen area, click here).
- With a Schengen visa, Pakistani citizens and residents can spend up to 90 days within a 180-day period in the Schengen area.
Where do you apply for Schengen visa?
- No matter where they are applying from, all applicants must apply for a Schengen visa through a specific Schengen country.
- Where you apply to depends on where in the Schengen area you will be spending the most time on your trip.
- For example, if you are going to the Schengen area and you plan on visiting both Germany and France, but you will spend the majority of your time in France, you should apply for a Schengen visa from France.
- If you are spending an equal amount of time in multiple countries, you should apply for a Schengen visa from the country of your first entry to the Schengen area. For example, if you are flying directly from Islamabad to Berlin, but then spending an equal amount of time in both Germany, and France, you should apply for a Schengen visa for Germany.
Where do you apply for Schengen visa in Pakistan?
- If you are applying for a Schengen visa from Pakistan, you will apply via the embassy, consulate, or visa application center associated with the Schengen country you are applying through.
- All the major Schengen countries have embassies in Islamabad, and many also have consulate missions in major Pakistani cities, such as Karachi.
- For example, if you are applying for a Schengen visa for Germany in Pakistan, you can apply at either the Germany Embassy in Islamabad or the German Consulate in Karachi.
- Please note, if you are trying to apply for a Schengen visa from one of the many honorary consuls in Lahore, check to make sure that it provides Schengen visa services. For example, while there is a German Honorary Consul in Lahore, it does not process Schengen visa applications.
- Ultimately, different countries have different application procedures: contact the consulate or embassy of the country you want to apply to for specific information on where, how, and when to apply.
Do I have to apply in person for Schengen visa from Pakistan?
- If you are applying for Schengen visa from Pakistan, you will likely have to apply in person, regardless of where you are applying.
- Most countries require applicants to schedule an in-person appointment online in order to apply.
- When you attend your in-person appointment, you will bring with you a print-out of your application and all other required documents/materials, including your passport, photos, and money to pay any visa fees.
- When you hand in your complete application, you will submit your biometric information (fingerprints and photos), and likely submit to a short interview.
- Certain kinds of applicants—children and all those who recently submitted biometric information—are exempt from the biometric requirement. (For more info on biometric information submission, click here).
Schengen visa types for Pakistani passport holders and Pakistan residents
- There are different types of Schengen visas; the type you apply for depends on your purpose for travel.
- Pakistani passport holders and residents can apply for the following types of Schengen visas:
- Visiting family/friends
- Official visit
- Airport transit
- Film crew
Schengen visa requirements for Pakistani citizens and Pakistan residents
- Schengen visa requirements for Pakistani citizens and Pakistan residents will vary depending on the type of Schengen visa they apply for. For example, if you are applying for a Schengen Business Visa, you must provide an invitation letter, whereas if you seek a Schengen Medical Visa, you will need to include a recent medical report.
- Applicants for all types of Schengen visas must provide the following basic required documents:
- Passport (valid, and with two blank pages)
- Photos of applicant (two, passport sized)
- Schengen visa fee (typically €80)
- Proof of travel medical insurance
- Proof of accommodation
- Proof of return (flight reservation, etc)
- For a complete list of required documents and supplemental materials, click here.
How do I access the Schengen application?
- The universal Schengen visa application is available online, here.
- Most countries will allow you to apply using the above form, which you can simply download, fill out, print, and sign. You will submit this form in person at your Schengen visa appointment.
- Alternatively, certain countries will require you to apply online, via their own visa application portal. For example, all applicants for German Schengen visas must apply online, through this link. Print out this form and bring it to the German Embassy in Islamabad or the Consulate in Karachi. The form contains a barcode, which will be scanned at the German Embassy/Consulate you apply through.
How much does a Schengen visa cost from Pakistan?
- Schengen visas cost €80 for most applicants.
- Children, holders of special passports, and other categories of persons may be subject to reduced rates (or even exempt from payment). (For more information on Schengen visa fees, click here).
When should I apply?
- Applicant seeking a Schengen visa from Pakistan should apply no earlier than 6 months before their intended date of travel, and no later than 2-weeks before their departure.
What is my application processing time?
- You should receive a decision on your application within 15-30 days (in rare cases, it can take up to 60 days).
No comments found.